Awards, appointments as professors & other staff matters
Prof. Dr. Jürgen Fassbender received the Gaede Award 2009 by the Gaede foundation and the German Vacuum Society (Deutsche Vakuumgesellschaft) honoring his works on modification of ultra thin magnetic layers and layer systems with the help of ion beams.
Measurement Technology Award
Dr. Marco Jose Da Silva was honored for his dissertation by the working group of professors engaged in measurement technology (AHMT). He developed several new sensors for multiple-phase flow imaging.
Harry Dember Prize
Burkhard Zimmermann was given the Harry Dember Prize 2008 by the Center for Applied Photonics Dresden (Zentrum für Angewandte Photonik Dresden e.V.) for his diploma thesis written at the Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research of the FZD. He managed to generate and detect Terahertz radiation with varying spatial distribution, and shares the award with Andreas Thiessen.
Dissertation Award of German Chemical Society
Dr. Kay Großmann was awarded for his dissertation by the nuclear chemistry section of the German Chemical Society. He investigated the effects of symbiotic communities of bacteria on the distribution of uranium in the environment.
Dresden Congress Award
The Dresden Congress Award was conferred upon the FZD for the local organization of the IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference which took place in Dresden from October 19 till 25, 2008, and attracted about 2,700 international scientists.
Future Prize of Super Illu journal
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Enghardt (OncoRay) was given the Future Prize by the audience of the journal Super Illu for developing the in-beam PET method used for cancer therapy monitoring during particle radiation treatment.
FZD Awards 2009
FZD Research Award 2009
The FZD Research Award was given to Dr. Viton Heera and Dr. Thomas Herrmannsdörfer, who managed to produce superconducting germanium - actually a semiconductor - by implanting gallium ions.
FZD Technology Award 2009
The FZD Technology Award went to Dr. Sergei Zherlitsyn and Bernd Wustmann, who are responsible for developing and producing the magnets used at the FZD to generate strong magnetic fields, an area in which the FZD is one of the leading institutes in the world.
FZD Young Researcher Award 2009
Dr. René Heller achieved fundamentally new results concerning the interactions between highly charged ions and material surfaces and was given the FZD Young Researcher Award.
FZD Science Communication Award 2009
The FZD Science Communication Award 2009 honors the outstanding commitment of FZD employee Heidemarie Heim shown in the past years on the FZD’s Science Day and during the Long Night of Sciences in Dresden.
Appointments as professors & other staff matters
- Prof. Dr. Jürgen Fassbender accepted a professorship for applied solid state physics at the Technische Universität Dresden. On October 1, 2009, he took the post as new director at the Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research.
- Prof. Dr. Klaus Morawetz accepted a professorship for mathematics at the Fachhochschule Münster.
- Prof. Dr. Peter Fulde (Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems) was appointed an honorary member of the FZD in appreciation of his commitment for the research center and the FZD’s High Magnetic Field Laboratory.
- Prof. Dr. Burkhard Kämpfer was elected a member of the Academia Europaea, the European Academy of Sciences.
- Prof. Dr. Wolfhard Möller was appointed a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the European Society of Thin Films (EFDS).
- The Federal Environment Ministry appointed Sören Kliem to the Committee on Plant and Systems Engineering of the Reactor Safety Commission.
- Prof. Dr. Frank-Peter Weiß was appointed by the European Union to a commission evaluating nuclear technology research carried out by the EU’s Joint Research Center.
- The Commissariat à l'Énergie Atomique (CEA) appointed Dr. Gunter Gerbeth to the Scientific Advisory Committee evaluating research on sodium cooled fast breeder reactors.
- Dr. Uwe Günther became a member of the Editorial Board of the „Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical“.