News / Events / Outreach activities
You'd like to know about the latest events? Every year, we organize several meetings, seminars, workshops and other events to present our work. Here you can keep up to date with the topics of greatest interest, the latest conferences and Outreach activities.
- Welcome to our new RISE-DAAD student Neena Patel from Williams College (Williamstown, USA), who will work on the functionalization of silicon nanoparticles.
- Summer Talks (July 2018 at HZDR) // Invited speakers: Prof. John A. Capobianco, Prof. José Luis Capelo Martínez and Prof. David Parker +++ Poster now online!
- Research across the border: Constantin Mamat and Holger Stephan organized a workshop (26 Apr - 27 Apr 2018) with several colleagues from different renowned research institutions of the Czech Republic for exchange of experiences and as starting point for new collavorations, including members of the Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry of Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic as well as scientists from the Center for Advanced Preclinical Imaging (CAPI).
- IC3TC 2017 in Caparica, Portugal (4 Dec - 7 Dec 2017): The three group members Tanmaya Joshi, Kristof Zarschler and Holger Stephan were invited by José Luis Capelo and Carlos Lodeiro to the 2nd International Caparica Christmas Conference on Translational Chemistry. Holger talked during his plenary lecture about "Radiolabelled Nanomaterials for Imaging and Treatment of Cancer: Quo Vadis?" and Kristof focussed during his keynote lecture on "Active tumor pretargeting using peptide nucleic acid bioconjugates as complementary system". Tanmaya's oral presentation dealt with the topic "Towards Substitutionally-Inert Ru(II) Complexes as Photoactivatable Anticancer Agents".
- EANM'17 in Vienna, Austria (21 Oct - 25 Oct 2017): Kristof Zarschler joint the incredible conference und presented the latest work of the Nanoscalic Systems group in his talk entitled "Diagnostic Tumor Imaging Using Renally Excretable Nanoparticles: Focus on Active and Passive Targeting".
- Nanotech France 2017 in Paris, France (28 Jun - 30 Jun 2017): Kristof Zarschler and Holger Stephan organized a "Focused session on Nanomedicine for cancer diagnosis and therapy" including internationally renowned lectureres such as Luisa De Cola, Teresa Pellegrino, Eléna Ishow, Orazio Vittorio and Martin Hruby. Two members of the Nanoscalic Systems group - Kritee Pant and Anne Nsubuga - gave excellent talks regarding their current work.
- Summer Talks (July and August 2017 at HZDR) // Invited speakers: Prof. Anna Salvati, Prof. Roger Alberto and Prof. Lutz Mädler // Update: Poster now online!
- Congratulations to Dr. Kritee Pant, who delivered a brilliant Rigorosum as well as PhD defence talk! Thanks so much for your terrific work in the group.
- Big congratulations to our PhD student Kritee Pant! She received the WILEY Young Scientist Award for her work on ultrasmall nanoparticles as cancer diagnostics. Read the complete story here!
- Welcome to our new Master student Eva Schlein from TU Dresden! She will work on the site-specific modification of antibody fragments for their application in radiopharmaceutical tumor research.
- Welcome to our new Indian student Tamil Selvi Sundaram, who will work on polyglycerol derivatives.
- Welcome to our new staff member Bettina Stanclik!
- Congratulations and welcome to our Humboldt fellow Dr. Tanmaya Joshi!
- NanoTracking Seminar "Metallo-Supramolecular Strategies for Assembling Nanoscale Molecular Structures" by Prof. Leonard F. Lindoy from the The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia (November 8, 2016 at HZDR)
- NanoTracking Seminar "Transforming Toxins into Therapeutics: Pharmaceutical Development of Venom-Derived Peptides" by Prof. Raymond S. Norton from the Monash University, Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Melbourne, Australia (November 3, 2016 at HZDR)
- Final Meeting of NanoTracking (October 5 to 7, 2016 in Dresden, Germany) // During the meeting, an overview on five years of NanoTracking was presented and invited talks regarding nanomedicine in Europe were given by Martin Hruby (Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic), Carlos Lodeiro Espiño (Departamento de Química, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal), Luca Prodi (Dipartimento di Chimica, Università di Bologna, Bologna, Italy), Wolfgang Parak (Research group Biophotonics, Department of Physics, Philipps University of Marburg, Marburg, Germany) and José Luis Capelo Martínez (Departamento de Química, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal). Moreover, Silke Gundel from the Brussels Office of the Helmholtz Association as well as several members of the NanoTracking consortium reported on EU funding opportunities and experiences, achievements, suggestions and setbacks related to EU funding.
- Summer Talks (July 2016 at HZDR) // Invited speakers: Prof. Carlos Lodeiro Espiño, Prof. Luca Prodi and Prof. Eléna Ishow // Update: Poster now online!
- NanoTracking Seminar "Selection and application of protein based binders for biological and non-biological targets" by Dr. Purvi Jain from the Institute of Biosciences and Medical Technology (BioMediTech), University of Tampere, Finland (June 30, 2016 at HZDR)
- Invited Talk "Radio-labelled nanomaterials for cancer diagnostics and treatment" by Dr. Holger Stephan at the kick off meeting of ICARO (Colloidal Inorganic Nanostructures for Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy), June 10, 2016 at Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia in Sestri Levante (Genua), Italy
- NanoTracking Seminar "Emerging possibilities of polyoxometalates to act as hosts for radionuclides" by Prof. Ulrich Kortz from the Department of Life Sciences & Chemistry, Jacobs University Bremen (February 19, 2016 at HZDR)
- Congratulations to our PhD students Garima Singh and Kritee Pant on winning the "Excellent Poster Presentation Award" and the "Excellent Shotgun Presentation Award", respectively, at the 2nd International Symposium on Nanoparticles/Nanomaterials and Applications (ISN2A 2016)
- NanoTracking Seminar "Exosomes as ultra-sensitive biomarkers for the non-invasive diagnosis of early gastro-intestinal cancer" by Dr. Christoph Kahlert from the Department of Gastrointestinal, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Medizinische Fakultät Carl Gustav Carus, Technische Universität Dresden (October 15, 2015 at HZDR)
- Fourth Annual Meeting (September 23 to 25, 2015 at Lipari, Italy) // During the meeting, PhD students, post docs and principle investigators of the NanoTracking consortium reported on the scientific progress achieved within the last year. Moreover, invited talks were given by the members of the scientific advisory board Silvia Jurisson and Roger Alberto and plans for the remaining months of the project funding as well as new funding opportunities were discussed. In a tutorial subsequent to the annual meeting, Teresa Pellegrino (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT), Genova, Italy) and Fabian Kiessling (ExMI – Experimental Molecular Imaging, Aachen, Germany) presented very interesting lectures regarding their scientific studies.
- Summer Talks (July 2015 at HZDR) // Invited speakers: Prof. Gilles Gasser, Prof. Silvio Aime, Prof. Nicholas Westwood // Update: Poster now online
- Welcome to Dr. Massimo Sgarzi from the group of Prof. Luca Prodi at University of Bologna!
- Welcome to our new Indian PhD student Garima Singh! She will continue the work on ultrasmall silicon nanoparticles.
- Invited Talk "Single-domain antibodies for specific nanoparticle targeting of the EGF-receptor" by Dr. Kristof Zarschler at the Scientific Symposium "Targeting tumor angiogenesis with antibody-based technologies" (June 8, 2015 at Centro Nacional de Biotecnología in Madrid, Spain)
- NanoTracking Seminar "Hybrid organic-inorganic light-harvesting antennae" by Prof. Paola Ceroni from University of Bologna, Department of Chemistry, Bologna, Italy (April 9, 2015 at HZDR)
- HPLC Workshop Möglichkeiten und Grenzen der HPLC in den Lebenswissenschaften (March 11, 2015 at HZDR)
- Third Annual Meeting (December 5 to 8, 2014 at Gold Coast and Brisbane) // Subsequent to AsBIC7, the 2014 Annual Meeting of was held at Gold Coast and in Brisbane. During the meeting, two invited talks were given by Allan Sherry (Advanced Imaging Research Center, UT Southwestern, Dallas) and Rajiv Bhalla (Centre for Advanced Imaging, The University of Queensland, Brisbane) and the outcomes of the mid-term evaluation were discussed. Furthermore, PhD students, post docs and their principle investigators of the cooperating scientific groups reported on the scientific progress achieved within the last year. The annual meeting also included a very informative tour of the Centre for Advanced Imaging at the University of Queensland in Brisbane. This year’s NanoTracking annual meeting was excellently organized by the Monash group and represented an outstanding platform for fruitful discussions and an active exchange of ideas.
- Australia is calling! Several NanoTracking fellows including early-stage researchers presented excellent contributions at the 7th Asian Biological Inorganic Chemistry Conference (AsBIC7) held at Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. Besides keynote lectures, invited lectures and oral presentations, the HVI was represented by six high-quality posters, whereof three were chosen for the poster slam. In this competition Andreas Haderspeck from the Herten group clinched first place. Moreover, Nadia Licciardello from the De Cola group was awarded with a poster prize.
Summer Talks (July and August 2014 at HZDR) // Invited speakers: Prof. Luisa De Cola, Prof. Wolfgang Parak, Prof. Serge Muyldermans, Prof. Phil Andrews // Update: Poster now online
- Successful mid-term evaluation for NanoTracking! The Helmholtz Virtual Institute NanoTracking passed successfully the mid-term evaluation, which was held on 2 July 2014 at the Berlin office of the Helmholtz association. A team of eight delegates (Luisa De Cola, Nadia Licciardello, Karina Pombo-Garcia, Louise Rocks, Nils Cordes, Peter Comba, Holger Stephan, and Kristof Zarschler) presented the project to the evaluation panel and answered their questions.
- Fourth Workshop Molecular Imaging in Lifescience (June 26, 2014 here at HZDR) // Invited speakers in the Nanomaterial session: Dr. Guillermo Orts-Gil, Dr. Teresa Pellegrino, Dr. Eugene Mahon, Dr. Kristof Zarschler
- HPLC Workshop Möglichkeiten und Grenzen der HPLC in den Lebenswissenschaften (March 12, 2014 at HZDR) // Update: Picture gallery now online!
- NanoTracking Seminar "Polymer-Supported Radiopharmaceuticals" by Dr. Martin Hruby (March 6, 2014 at HZDR)
- NanoTracking Seminar "Scrutinizing nanoparticles by scattering methods: advantages and drawbacks of DLS" by Dr. Guillermo Orts-Gil (January 30, 2014 at HZDR)
- Second Annual Meeting (October 6 to 8, 2013 in Heidelberg)
- Summer Talks (August 2013 at HZDR)
- NanoTracking Seminar "EGFR as potential cancer target: Yesterday's visions and today's hopes" by Prof. Nils Cordes (June 13, 2013 at HZDR)
- Third Workshop Molecular Imaging in Lifescience (June 6, 2013 at HZDR)
- NanoTracking Seminar "Functional POMs and Oxides for Environmental and Biomedical Challenges" by Prof. Greta Patzke (March 21, 2013 at HZDR) // Update: Postponed to March 22, 2013
- NanoTracking Seminar "Polyoxometalates with Biological Potential" by Prof. Ulrich Kortz (February 21, 2013 at HZDR)
- NanoTracking Seminar "Strategies for Assembling Metallo-Supramolecular Structures" by Prof. Leonard F. Lindoy (November 2, 2012 at HZDR)
- First Annual Meeting (October 14 to 16, 2012 in Dublin) Official announcement, program and UCD Campus Map
- Second Workshop Molecular Imaging in Lifescience (June 20, 2012 at HZDR)
- NanoTracking Seminar "Biological Applications of Copper Complexes" by Prof. Leone Spiccia (May 21, 2012 at HZDR)
- NanoTracking Seminar "Single-molecule methods in the life-sciences and in chemistry" by Dr. Dirk-Peter Herten (April 26, 2012 at HZDR)