Physics of Particle Accelerators
Physics of Particle Accelerators 2020
Prof. Dr. Ulrich Schramm, Prof Dr. Tom Cowan
Dates: Tuesday, 5. DS (14:50-16:20), ASB/328
Covid19 - As the lecture consists of several topical blocks it will start
whenever the university opens again for regular teaching. Specific
blocks like advanced accelerator concepts will be scheduled according
to interest and availability.
If you plan to attend, please send an email to (u.schramm at hzdr.de)
and we will update you on any changes to the schedule.
The lecture will cover the following topics:
Particle accelerators:linear accelerators, circular accelerators, storage rings, cyclotrons, betatrons, synchrotrons
Particle dynamics: ion optics, matrix formalism, beam dynamics, beam cooling
Secondary beams: light sources, radioactive beams
Advanced concepts: relativistic laser plasma physics, laser particle acceleration
During the lecture we will frequently present applications and realisations of accelerators.
As no excercises/tutorials will be offered regularly, we propose either hands-on accelerator practice during
an excursion to the HZDR or a full workout day with a set of exercises.
- K. Wille, The Physics of Particle Accelerators, Oxford ‘00
- E. Wilson, An Introduction to Particle Accelerators, Oxford Univ. Press ’01
- F. Hinterberger, Physik der Teilchenbeschleuniger und Ionenoptik Springer ´08
- J. Großer: Einführung in die Teilchenoptik, Teubner ’83
- J.D. Lawson: The physics of charged-particle beams, Clarendon press ‘77
- T. Wangler: RF Linear Accelerators, Wiley '98
- S. Humphries: Principles of Charged Particle Acceleration, https://www.fieldp.com/cpa.html
- CERN Accelerator School, cas.web.cern.ch/cas/