Vacancy Notice No. 86E/2017
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,100 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter. All research is conducted in close collaboration with other members of the Helmholtz Association as well as with universities, non-university affiliated research institutes, and industry.
For additional information please visit: https://www.hzdr.de.
The Institute of Radiation Physics invites applications as
PhD Student (m/f) for Directed High Energy Radiation and Particle Beams Generated Using Extreme Magnetic Fields
This position is part of a international joint project between the University of California - San Diego, the University of Bordeaux and the HZDR.
The position will be available from 01 February 2018. The employment contract is limited to three years. The regular weekly working time will be 26 hours. The salary is based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund. The place of work is Hamburg-Schenefeld.
- very good university graduation in physics, preferably in plasma physics or computational physics
- knowledge of plasma physics, simulation or theory
- experience in computational aided modelling, e.g. PIC simulations
- programming skills
- good proficiency in the English language
- The goal of the joint project is to carry out a numerical study of the dynamics of multiple megatesla magnetic field filaments driven by ultra-high intensy laser pulses in solid-density plasmas and the impact of the resulting configurations on quantum electrodynamic processes leading to generation of gamma rays, matter and antimatter.
- The PhD student will conduct a feasibility study for direct experimental detection of the laser-driven MT magnetic fields using novel capabilities that will become available at the next-generation laser facilities, also including European X-Ray Free Electron Laser which would be critical for validating the regimes of experimentally interest.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Toma Toncian, Tel.: +49 40 8998 6869 or Mrs. Anne Varga, Tel.: +49 351 260 - 3293.
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400