For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Cornelia Heintze Tel.: +49 351 260 3431,
Dr. Frank Bergner Tel.: +49 351 260 3186,
Dr. Eberhard Altstadt Tel.: +49 351 260 2276
Place of work:
15 May 2018
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Scientist (m/f) in Scanning Electron Microscopy
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,100 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The Institute of Resource Ecology (IRE) performs research to protect humans and the environment from hazards caused by pollutants resulting from technical processes that produce energy and raw materials.
The Department of Structural Materials of the IRE invites applications as Scientist (m/f) in Scanning Electron Microscopy.
The position will be available from 01 August 2018. The employment contract is initially limited to 3 years with the possibility of conversion to long-term status.
- independent conduction and analysis of SEM and EBSD experiments on steels
- quantitative structure, texture and phase analyses as a bridge between phenomena at the nm scale and deformation/fracture behavior
- independent conduction of fractographic investigations on steels
- coordination and evaluation of metallographic investigations
- publication of scientific results in peer-reviewed journals and at international conferences
- independent preparation of research project proposals (national and European)
- collaboration in running national and international projects
- university degree in physics or materials science with a very good overall grade, PhD
- ability to convert scientific results into publications and project ideas
- profound knowledge and practical experience in microstructural characterization of metals and in scanning electron microscopy (SEM)
- basic knowledge and practical experience in electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD), energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX) and fractography
- ability of flexible application of image processing software
- excellent command in spoken and written English (grade B2 or higher)
- active collaboration with other team members and highly proactive attitude
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team