For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Emmanouil Dimakis Tel.: +49 351 260 2765,
PD Dr. habil. Harald Schneider Tel.: +49 351 260 2880
Place of work:
31 May 2018
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
PhD Student (m/f)
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,100 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research conducts materials research for future applications, e. g., in information technology and for energy conversion.
The Institute, Department of Spectroscopy invites applications as PhD Student (m/f) in the field of epitaxy and optical characterization of III-V semiconductor nanowires. The position will be available from 1 September 2018. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- design and realization of growth experiments using molecular beam epitaxy
- characterization of nanowires with electron microscopy and optical/electrical methods
- simulation of heterostructures with software packages (e.g. nextnano)
- collaboration with partner groups and realization of joint experiments at external facilities (e.g. x-ray diffraction at various synchrotron facilities in Europe)
- publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and presentation at international conferences
- very good Master's degree in physics, materials science or electrical engineering (or any other relevant field) with a strong background in solid-state physics
- experience (work or training) in a semiconductor laboratory is advantageous
- very good English language skills (both written and spoken)
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team