For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Cornelia Heintze Tel.: +49 351 260 3431,
Dr. Frank Bergner Tel.: +49 351 260 3186,
Dr. Eberhard Altstadt Tel.: +49 351 260 2276
Place of work:
22 June 2018
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
PhD Student (m/f) in Transmission Electron Microscopy
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,100 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The Institute of Resource Ecology (IRE) performs research to protect humans and the environment from hazards caused by pollutants resulting from technical processes that produce energy and raw materials. The Department of Structural Materials of the IRE invites applications as PhD Student (m/f) in Transmission Electron Microscopy.
The position will be available from 1 September 2018. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- design, beam time proposal preparation and conduction of ion irradiation experiments on steels for nuclear applications and their model alloys
- microstructural characterisation of ion-irradiated and unirradiated material, especially quantitative defect analysis by means of transmission electron microscopy
- mechanical characterisation of ion-irradiated and unirradiated samples by means of nanoindentation
- publication of scientific results in peer-reviewed journals and at international conferences
- university degree in physics or materials science with a very good overall grade
- basic knowledge and practical experience in transmission electron microscopy and/or micromechanical testing, especially nanoindentation is of advantage
- basic knowledge in application of image processing software of advantage
- very good language skills in English (both written and spoken, grade B2 or higher)
- active collaboration with other team members and highly proactive attitude
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team