For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Guido Juckeland Tel.: +49 351 260 3660,
Dr. Uwe Konrad Tel.: +49 351 260 3264,
+49 351 260 3317
Place of work:
27 July 2018
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Data Engineer/Computational Scientist (m/f)
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,100 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The Department of Information Services and Computing invites applications as Data Engineer/Computational Scientist (m/f).
The position will be available from 1 October 2019. The employment contract is limited to two years.
- as one of three main developers of the HZDR data management platform you cover all aspects from data ingest (including acquiring all necessary meta-data from proposal systems, electronic lab-books and experiment control systems), via data analysis (starting (interactive) analysis jobs on the local HPC resources/OpenStack instances from the live data web portal) to archiving and data publication
- HZDR is using the lnvenio Digital Library Platform as the basis for its data management. The applicant (m/f) will be developing tools for automatic ingestion of data sets, modules for starting/controlling analysis steps and for moving data into the archive/data publication system. Further work on the a MediaWiki based electronic logbook as the cradle for the relevant metadata is also part of the job.
- direct interaction with the researchers to develop the data managment plans and workflows
- help with the continued development of our data management infrastructure
- work with scientists from all disciplines at HZDR to develop and implement their data management plans using the central IT infrastructure (from ingest via web-based analysis workflows to publication)
- very good degree (Bachelor/Master) in computer or data science, engineering, mathematics or natural science
- solid knowledge of Python, version control with git and continuous integration
- solid proficiency in agile software development
- basic knowledge and experience in developing C++ (C++ 11 /C++ 15) software and corresponding IDEs
- proficiency in working with HPC Linux environments
- some experience with the lnvenio Digital Library Software
- Scientific knowledge and skills for communication in an engineering environment
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team