For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Rantej Bali Tel.: +49 351 260 2919,
Prof. Dr. Olav Hellwig Tel.: +49 351 260 2461
Place of work:
31 August 2018
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
PhD Student (m/f) in Magnetic Multilayered Devices
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,100 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research conducts materials research for future applications, e. g., in information technology and for energy conversion.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Magnetism invites applications as PhD Student (m/f) to investigate the magnetic and transport properties of Magnetic Multilayer Devices containing magnetic 3d metals and high spin-orbit coupling metals of the 4d and 5d series.
The position will be available from 1 January 2019. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- design and preparation of multilayered structures using thin films preparation tools
- understanding interactions of ions with multilayered structures
- structural, magnetic and transport characterization
- simulations of observed magnetic and transport properties
- publication of scientific results in peer-reviewed journals
- preparation of a dissertation
- excellent Diploma or Master's degree in physics, materials science or a related area
- scientific curiosity, hands-on approach and drive to pursue fundamental research questions
- systematic approach to experimental work
- good written and spoken English skills
- travel to other research locations, such as synchrotron sources and to international conferences
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team