For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Frank Stefani Tel.: +49 351 260 3069
Place of work:
31 August 2018
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
PhD Student (m/f)
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,100 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The Institute of Fluid Dynamics is conducting basic and applied research in the fields of thermo-fluid dynamics and magnetohydrodynamics in order to improve the sustainability, the energy efficiency and the safety of industrial processes.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Magnetohydrodynamics, invites applications as PhD Student (m/f) in the framework of the ERC Advanced Grant ,,Laboratory Experiments on Magnetic Phenomena in Geo- and Astrophysics". The position will be available from 01. November 2018. The employment contract is limited to four years.
- numerical simulations of the magnetorotational instability in a Taylor-Couette flow under the influence of axial and azimuthal magnetic fields
- analysis of measured flow data, and comparison with numerical results
- very good university degree, preferably in physics, mathematics, computer science, mechanical engineering or electrical engineering
- basic knowledge of fluid dynamics
- solid knowledge of numerical mathematics
- proficient programming skills
- good command of written and spoken English
- ability for interdisciplinary teamwork
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team