For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Mr. Jörg Konheiser Tel.: +49 351 260 2416,
Dr. Sören Kliem Tel.: +49 351 260 2318
Place of work:
31 October 2018
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (m/f)
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,100 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The Institute of Resource Ecology (IRE) performs research to protect humans and the environment from hazards caused by pollutants resulting from technical processes that produce energy and raw materials.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Reactor Safety invites applications as PhD Student (m/f).
The position will be available, subject to the consent of the funding agency, from 1 January 2019. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- development of models for Monte Carlo calculations
- optimization of the calculations by the different methods of variance reduction
- comparing experiments with the calculations
- publication of results in peer-review journals and at international conferences
- university degree in science and technology
- very good marks in exams and Master/Diploma thesis
- good knowledge in the field of nuclear engineering and in reactor safety analysis is an advantage
- experience with Monte Carlo codes and in programming
- ability to work independently, as a part of a team and in collaboration with other teams
- creative thinking
- very good written and oral communication skills in English, German language is an asset
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team