For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Franziska Lederer Tel.: +49 351 260 2427,
Dr. Katrin Pollmann Tel.: +49 351 260 2946
Place of work:
2 November 2018
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (m/f) for the immobilisation of peptides on carrier materials
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,100 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology (HIF) pursues the objective of developing innovative technologies for the economy so that mineral and metalliferous raw materials can be made available and used more efficiently and recycled in an environmentally friendly manner.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Biotechnology invites applications as PhD Student (m/f) for the immobilisation of peptides on carrier materials.
The position will be available from 1 January 2019. The employment contract is limited to three years.
The project BioKollekt plans the development of biologically modified collectors for the selective and highly specific binding of precious materials preferential from secondary raw material sources with the aim of the separation of finest particles that are currently not extractable due to limitations of classical flotation processes.
Within the framework of this project, the following tasks have to be achieved:
- immobilisation of peptides on carrier materials
- analysis of interactions of peptides with carrier materials and mineral particles
- characterisation of developed carrier materials in separation processes
- very good university degree (Master/Diploma) in the field of biotechnology, biochemistry, chemistry, material sciences or an comparable qualification
- experiences and interest in biological tasks
- experiences in chemical or biological labs
- interest in the investigation of surface reactions, interfacial processes
- interest in the immobilisation of peptides for the development of bioflotation materials
- experimental skills
- ability to work in a team, interdisciplinary operation
- good English skills
- willingness to travel
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team