HZDR Research Talks
The HZDR Research Talks usually take place on Wednesdays from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
The next dates are:
January 20, 2021
by Dr. Michael Bussmann (CASUS) "The Digitalization of Science: Are we there, yet?"
The digitalization of science is a grand goal, but practical examples of achieving this goal are scattered and diverse while systemic approaches are scarce. This talk will present central challenges in digital method research for science and how digitalization may help understanding the complexity of real world systems. Within the Centre for Advanced Systems Understanding (CASUS) an interdisciplinary approach to develop and apply digital methods for science is put in place that starts with understanding fundamental mathematical connections when describing complex systems. With that understanding, systemic algorithmic approaches to analyse and model these systems are at the heart of digital science. While method transfer between scientific field is a research goal by itself, a structured and algorithmic view on the complexity of systems and their understanding can help gaining new insights and fostering research across and including different disciplines. We will present first steps taken in this direction by showcasing examples from CASUS and what we expect to happen next.
February 24, 2021
by Dr. Nina Elkina (IT & Infrastructure)
The HDZR Research Talks are a program for HZDR employees of all research fields. Within this framework, scientists give lectures on current projects, methods and procedures and look forward to exchanging ideas with colleagues in order to jointly develop ideas and initiate projects. The Research Talks are also open to external interested parties.
- Lectures and discussions are held in English.
- Participation is free of charge.
- Registration is not required. External visitors need to check in at the HZDR main entrance 30 min in advance.
Dr. Franziska Lederer (Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology, Dept. Biotechnology)
Phone: +49 351 260 2427
Dr. Kristof Zarschler (Institute of Radiopharmaceutical Cancer Research, Dept. Radionuclide Theragnostics)
Phone: +49 351 260 3678
Dr. Peter Zahn (Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research, Dept. Scaling Phenomena)
Phone: +49 351 260 3121
Dr. Björn Drobot (Institute of Resource Ecology, Dept. Biogeochemistry)
Phone: +49 351 260 2759
Dr. Sandra Hamann (Research Programmes and International Projects)
Phone: +49 351 260 3649
- Dr. Katerina Falk (Institute of Radiation Physics, High Energy Density) "Ultra-fast x-ray probing of astrophysical plasmas"
- Dr. Richard Gloaguen (Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology, Exploration): "From satellites to drones: imaging Earth with innovative technologies"
- Dr. Josefine Metzkes-Ng (Institute of Radiation Physics, Application-oriented Laser-plasma Accelerators): "Laser-driven ion accelerators for applications in radiobiology"
- Dr. Sebastian Reinecke (Institute of Fluid Dynamics, Experimental Thermal Fluid Dynamics): "Methods for more efficiency in water resource recovery"
- Dr. Björn Drobot (Institute of Resource Ecology, Biogeochemistry): "What we can learn from the ’f’ in f-elements"
- Dr. Dominik Kraus ( Institute of Radiation Physics, Helmholtz Young Investigator Group High Energy Density): "Warm dense matter: investigating planets and stars in the laboratory"
- Dr. Yordan Georgiev (Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research, Transport Phenomena in Nanostructures, Head of Nanofabrication): "Ultra sensitive biosensors based on the simplest possible field effect transistor"
- Dr. Matthias Streller (Communication & Media Relations): "The DeltaX student laboratory – a place of research and education"
- Prof. Dr. Heidemarie Schmidt (Institute for Solid State Physics, Friedrich Schiller University Jena): "Adhesion of biomolecules to a CHIP using surface-near electrostatic forces"
- Dr. Elke Beyreuther (Institute of Radiation Physics, Laser Particle Acceleration): "Radiobiological effect dependencies on proton beam quality revealed by zebrafish embryo"
- Dr. Nicole Matschiavelli (Institute of Resource Ecology, Biogeochemistry): "The disposal of high-level radioactive waste – some microbial issues"
- Dr. Kristof Zarschler (Institute of Radiopharmaceutical Cancer Research, Radionuclide Theragnostics): "How to make a radiolabeled protein: a story of protein expression, functionalization and characterization"
- Dr. Gregor Hlawacek (Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research, Ion Induced Nanostructures): "Helium Ion Microscopy for biological samples: Achievments and Challenges"
- Dr. Franziska Lederer (Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology, Biotechnology): "Development of biological tools for the recycling of electronic scrap"