Online Annual Report 2011
Personnel Matters, Professorial Appointments, and Awards
- Prof. Ulrich Schramm was appointed as Director of the Institute of Radiation Physics and as Honorary Professor for Laser Plasma Physics at the Technische Universität Dresden [Dresden University of Technology]. He rejected a W3 Professorship for Plasma Physics at the Goethe University Frankfurt on the Main which was combined with the post as Head of the Plasma Physics Department at the GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH corporation.
- Prof. Jens Gutzmer was appointed as the Founding Director of the Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology.
- Dr. Jeffrey McCord (Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research) accepted a W2 Professorship (Heisenberg Endowed Professorship) for “Nanoscale Magnetic Materials – Magnetic Domains” at the Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel [Kiel University].
- Prof. Uwe Hampel (Institute of Fluid Dynamics) accepted an AREVA Endowed Professorship (W3) for Imaging Techniques for Energy and Process Engineering at the Technische Universität Dresden [Dresden University of Technology].
- Prof. Jens Pietzsch (Institute of Radiopharmacy) was appointed as an adjunct professor at the Technische Universität Dresden [Dresden University of Technology].
- Prof. Michael Baumann, Spokesperson of the research network OncoRay which is jointly supported by the HZDR, the TU Dresden [Dresden University of Technology], and the University Hospital Dresden, was elected as First Vice President of the German Society of Radiooncology (DEGRO).
- Prof. Jürgen Fassbender, Director at the Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research, was appointed as the Spokesperson of the German Physical Society’s Fachverband Dünne Schichten [Thin Film Division].
- HZDR Awards 2011 (presented on March 15, 2012)
- At the energy trade show enertec dezentral 2011, Sebastian Reinecke, Prof. Dr. Uwe Hampel, Uwe Pöpping, and Martin Tschofen (Institute of Fluid Dynamics) were presented with an award for their development of autonomous sensors for biogas plants.
- Prof. Joachim Wosnitza, Director of the Dresden High Magnetic Field Laboratory, was presented with an award by the American Physical Society in honor of his exceptional commitment as an Outstanding Referee.
- Dr. Marcel Kosmata (Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research) received the Jean-Marie Palau Award 2011 for the best student contribution to the “Conference on Radiation Effects on Components and Systems.”