Mobile version: On
Department of Information Services and Computing
Information Services and Computing is the service, consultation and coordination centre for the Information Infrastructure of the Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf. It supports all the institutes, departments as well as external users on the campus.
The members and guests of HZDR can rely upon the IT Infrastructure considered as highly available and innovative. This is based on a campus-wide data network.
The core of the IT infrastructure consists in a high-performance data centre (picture 1,3: building 614, data center) accommodating the servers, data storages, the network equipment as well as the back-up and archiving facilities for logged data from the institutes. Supercomputers (e.g. linux cluster) are provided for scientific calculation and simulation tasks. Any other data derived from research works of the HZDR are filed, saved and archived over periods of time. The communication network on the campus is connected at high band-width to the Gigabit-Wissenschaftsnetz of the DFN (German Research Network Association) and is protected by respective firewalls, anti-virus software and spam filters.
The Services for the digital Provision of Information and the Support in the publication process are provided by the scientific library of the HZDR, which is part of the department. In the modern library building the Information media as well as comfortable desktops for staff and guests are available.
The Department of Information Services and Computing and is responsible for:
- Coordination and improvement of IT processes, information technology as well as data and information security;
- Provision of Information and media of the scientific library and advice and support in the publication process
- Service and improvement of the data network from campus to desk and the supply of communication services such as e-mail and Internet;
- Operation of the main computation and storage capacities as well as data saving and archiving;
- Administration of all IT users and IT resources in central domains and management of campus software;
- User desktop support and organization of IT courses;
- Administration and improvement of hardware and software for all commercial and administrative processes
- High-performance computing for scientific requirements as well as assistance to scientists in solving problems in the fields of numerical problems, parallelization and visualization;
- Software development, database support and technical internet and intranet services (including content management);
- Large-format printing of posters and transparencies.
- Communication Services (telephone, fax, videoconferencing)