Mobile version: On
Department Information Technology
The Department of Information Technology is the service, consultation and coordination centre for the IT Infrastructure of the Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf. It supports all the institutes, departments as well as external users on the campus. This department is also responsible for hardware and software of the commercial and administrative processes of the HZDR.
The members and guests of HZDR can rely upon the IT Infrastructure considered as highly available and innovative. This is based on a campus-wide data network.
The core of the IT infrastructure consists in a high-performance data centre (picture 1,3: building 614, data center) accommodating the servers, data storages, the network equipment as well as the back-up and archiving facilities for logged data from the institutes. Supercomputers (e.g. linux cluster) are provided for scientific calculation and simulation tasks. Any other data derived from research works of the HZDR are filed, saved and archived over periods of time. The communication network on the campus is connected at high band-width to the Gigabit-Wissenschaftsnetz of the DFN (German Research Network Association) and is protected by respective firewalls, anti-virus software and spam filters.
The Department of Information Technology belongs to the Technical Service and is responsible for:
- Coordination and improvement of IT processes, information technology as well as data and information security;
- Service and improvement of the data network from campus to desk and the supply of communication services such as e-mail and Internet;
- Operation of the main computation and storage capacities as well as data saving and archiving;
- Administration of all IT users and IT resources in central domains and management of campus software;
- User desktop support and organization of IT courses;
- Administration and improvement of hardware and software for all commercial and administrative processes
- High-performance computing for scientific requirements as well as assistance to scientists in solving problems in the fields of numerical problems, parallelization and visualization;
- Software development, database support and technical internet and intranet services (including content management);
- Large-format printing of posters and transparencies.
- Communication Services (telephone, fax, videoconferencing)