- Completion of the extensive test series around the obstacle with simultaneous operation of ultrafast X-Ray tomography and hot-wire anemometry.
- Execution of steady-state and transient steam water tests for the investigation of condensation phenomena in a slightly inclined pipe with forced cooling at pressures up to 65 bar. Subsequent reconstruction of the condensation test rig for the operation of ultrafast X-Ray tomography.
- Erection of a vertical test section for the detailed investigation of boiling phenomena with ultrafast X-Ray tomography at pressures up to 20 bar.
- Design of a chemical engineering test facility for the improvement of droplet deposition in a separation column and for the analysis of evaporation effects in feeding pipes at industrial parameters.
- Completion of the extensive measurements for the improvement of the convective heat transfer on innovative fin-tube heat exchangers with forced and natural circulation.
- Completion of reconstruction and improvement of the TOPFLOW steam generator and successful execution of the recommissioning checks.
- Design and erection of a vertical test section for the investigation of three-dimensional two-phase flow phenomena around an obstacle with an ultrafast X-Ray tomograph in conjunction with a hot-wire anemometer.
- Design and commissioning of a vertical rectangular flow channel for optimization of the convective heat transfer on innovative fin-tube heat exchangers.
- Erection and initial operation of an improved “Hot-Leg test section” for the investigation of counter-current flow effects in a horizontal geometry. Execution of air- and steam water tests up to the total counter-current flow limitation (zero penetration point) up to 5 MPa pressure.
- Investigation of air and activated sludge flows inside of vertical pipes with variable gas superficial velocities and different gas spargers using the ultrafast X-ray tomography.
- Start of the reconstruction activities on the TOPFLOW steam generator.
- Completion of the measurements in the vertical test section „Ti-pipe“ by the investigation of downward air- and steam water flows using the ultrafast X-ray tomography.
- Finish of the experiments inside the test basin DENISE by the investigation of condensation phenomena and flow structures on a subcooled vertical liquid free jet (series B) and during bubble entrainment (series C) for a wide parameter range.
- Analysis of the effectiveness of static mixer modules using ultrafast X-ray tomography.
- Investigation of the gas-driven fluid dynamics on column trays by wire-mesh sensor technology.
- Final assembly and initial operation of the test basin DENISE for investigation of condensation phenomena at free surfaces and sub cooled liquid jets. Execution of the condensation tests at free surfaces (series A) on the DENISE test rig.
- Continuation of the tests on the vertical test section Ti-tube by execution of upwards air- and steam-water experiments as well as counter-current flow tests using noninvasive ultrafast X-ray tomography.
- Successful completion of the international nuclear "Pressurized Thermal Shock" project.
- Initial operation of the slightly inclined test rig for the investigation of condensation phenomena and execution of the necessary measurements with various flow parameters and pressures up to 6.5 MPa in the frame of an industry founded project (AREVA).
- Completion of the steady-state tests and execution of transient experiments in the "Pressurized Thermal Shock" test rig in the frame of the PTS project.
- Data evaluation of the steady-state and transient PTS tests.
- Finalization of the assembling and commissioning of the test rig for single effect investigation during steam condensation inside a slightly inclined tube using X-ray tomography.
- Installation of the test basin for investigation of condensation phenomena at free surfaces and sub cooled liquid jets at a test platform of the TOPFLOW pressure tank.
- Repeat of the upwards air-water tests and execution of counter-current flows on the vertical DN50 test section using ultrafast X-ray tomography.
- Successful licensing of the tomographic laboratory for X-ray operation.
- Visual investigation of the flow behavior of an Emergency Core Cooling jet during injection into a Cold Leg model of a Pressurized Water Reactor in consideration of variable thermo hydraulic conditions.
- Execution of steady-state steam-water tests on the Pressurized Thermal Shock test rig.
- Build-up of a tomographic laboratory in the basement of the TOPFLOW building and installation of the necessary pipeworks for thermo hydraulic experiments.
- Assembling of a test rig for single effect investigation during steam condensation inside a slightly inclined tube using X-ray tomography.
- Completion of the extensive and high quality steam-water tests in a DN200 vertical test section for the quantitative analysis of steam condensation along the pipe and on evaporation effects caused by pressure release.
- Realization of an experimental series for upstream air-water flows in a vertical DN50 tube using non-invasive ultra fast X-ray tomography.
- Assembling and commissioning of a test basin for investigation of condensation phenomena at free surfaces and sub cooled liquid jets.
- Design of a test rig for single effect investigation during steam condensation inside a slightly inclined tube using X-ray tomography.
- Execution of air/water tests for the analysis of mixing processes inside a 1:2.5 scaled model of a Pressurized Water Reactor Cold Leg and Downcomer.
- Assembling of a test rig for boiling investigation for a refrigerant fluid inside a fuel rod bundle model.
- Completion of the mechanical installation of the special measuring systems on a Cold Leg and Downcomer model of a Pressurized Water Reactor for Pressurized Thermal Shock tests.
- Assembling and test of 2 enhanced high temperature wire mesh sensors DN200 for condensation experiments in a vertical tube.
- Data evaluation and analysis of air/water- and steam/water tests, executed in the Hot Leg model of a Pressurized Water Reactor.
- Installation and commissioning of the ultra fast X-ray tomograph on the vertical DN50 test section Ti-tube, application for the operating licence for the X-ray device.
- Design and engineering of a test basin for investigation of steam condensation on free surfaces, on a subcooled liquid jet and study of the bubble entrainment around an impinging jet.
- Engineering of the experimental equipment for the analysis of subcooled boiling inside a fuel rod bundle model.
- Completion of steam/water tests in the hot leg model with pressures up to 5 MPa.
- Completion of measurements for the flow evaluation in a vertical DN200 test section with constant pressure at the gas injection.
- Dismounting of the Emergency Condenser Tank out of the TOPFLOW building.
- Assembling of a thin-walled vertical testsection DN50 for the non-invasiv investigation of two-phase flows with pressures up to 6.5 MPa using an ultra-fast X-ray tomograph.
- Extension of the TOPFLOW pressure vessel with a saturated water citcuitry and a cold water injection system for the execution of non-adiabatic experiments in a test basin.
- Design and assembling of the test rig for Pressurized Thermal Shock experiments in the TOPFLOW pressure vessel.
- Realisation of extensive and high-quality measurements for the evaluation of a vertical flow in a DN200 pipe with constant pressure (0.25 MPa) and temperature (30 °C) at the gas injection.
- Investigation of free surface dynamics in gas/water flows at the horizontal flow channel.
- Analysis of interfacial area evolution and momentum exchange in stratified air/water flows at the hot leg model.
- Execution of first steam/water tests in the hot leg model with pressures up to 1.5 MPa.
- Erection and commissioning of a high pressure nitrogen unit for the inertisation of the TOPFLOW pressure tank during steam/water tests.
- Design, assembling and commissioning of a degasification module for the feed water of the electrical steam generator circuit of TOPFLOW.
- Carrying out of pretests with heat and mass transfer: condensation of steam in sub-cooled water in the vertical test section DN200.
- Continuation of the experiments for investigation of local flow phenomena around an asymmetrical obstacle in a vertical DN200 pipe.
- Test of suitable materials for thermal insulation of the hot leg model for investigation of interfacial area evolution and momentum exchange in stratified flows.
- Assembling and operation of a horizontal flow channel for investigation of free surface dynamics in gas/water flows.
- Continuation of the steam/water tests in the vertical test section "Variable Gas Injection" DN200.
- Assembly of the second advanced high temperature wire-mesh sensor for the test section DN200.
- Completion of manufacturing of the hot leg model.
- Preparation of the TOPFLOW facility for steam/water tests, aimed to the investigation of local flow phenomena around an asymmetrical obstacle in a vertical DN200 pipe.
- Preparation of the tests for studying the interfacial area of free surfaces in the hot leg model.
- Continuation of air/water tests in the vertical test section "Variable Gas Injection" DN200.
- Final assembly of two high temperature wire-mesh sensors for the vertical test section DN50.
- Investigation of the flow patterns in a steam/water flow in a vertical tube DN50.
- Design, manufacture and commissioning of the first high temperature wire-mesh sensor for the test section DN200.
- Start of steam/water tests in the test section "Variable Gas Injection" DN200.
- Erection of an annexe to building 68 to extend the experimental possibilities of the TOPFLOW facility.
- Execution of the first series of experiments in the vertical test sections DN50 and DN200 (February until July).
- Test of the facility behaviour with the maximum electrical power of 4 MW on April the 30th.
- Completion of the controller adjustment works and of the basic stage of the Process Control System.
- Final inspection of the test facility by the Technical Supervisory Authority (TÜV Süddeutschland) on September the 23th.
- Investigation of the evolution of two-phase flows in the new test section DN200 "Variable Gas Injection" under ambient conditions.
- Construction of TOPFLOW facility was finished in June.
- Realisation of pressure tests in the high and low pressure parts of the facility (June/July).
- Successful final inspection of the pipework as well as the measuring and control systems of TOPFLOW by the Technical Supervisory Authority (TÜV-Süddeutschland) on July the 29th and 30th.
- First continuous operation of the steam generator for several hours on August the 17th.
- On October the 19th, the test facility achieved the design parameters of 7.0 MPa and 286 °C for the first time.
- Finish of the first phase of the initial operation.
- Complete dismantlement of the Emergency Condenser Test Facility, reconditioning and transportation of selected components from Jülich to Rossendorf.
- Beginning of assembling of the TOPFLOW facility at Dresden-Rossendorf in March.
- Elaboration of a takeover agreement between FZ Jülich and Dresden-Rossendorf.
- Beginning of the reconstruction of building 68 at FZD.
- Transportation of the first components from the Emergency Condenser Test Facility to FZD.
Design and planning of the multipurpose thermal hydraulic test facility TOPFLOW for the investigation of generic and application-oriented thermal hydraulic phenomena in stationary and transient two-phase flows on the basis of the Centre of Excellence for Nuclear Technology in Saxony, consisting of the Technische Universität Dresden (TUD), the Hochschule Zittau/Görlitz (HTW Zittau/Görlitz) and the Forschungszentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (FZD), using some components of the Emergency Condenser Test Facility of Forschungszentrum Jülich (FZJ).