Local video conferencing
A lokal videoconference allows a communication directly from the desktop computer. For video conferences with a larger group please use the HZDR video conference rooms.
During this conference video, sound and optionally user data (documents, screens) are exchanged between two or more sites.
Camera and microphone are the input devices while monitor and loadspeaker serve as output devices.
For local video conferences the HZDR offers different solutions:
- DFNConf (up to 23 participants) offers users of the X-WiN and their users as well as all other interested scientific institutions the possibility to communicate with one or more other partners from a PC, a workstation, a room system or a mobile terminal using the X-WiN. Also facilities outside the X-WiN are accessible via this service. You will find more information at DFN Conference Service of the DFN. A short instruction can you find here: Video Conferences with DFNconf
- Some institutes have ZOOM licenses (epending on license up to 100/300 participants), please use the Zoom Client version 5.4.x or higher. This can be installed via S:\Zoom\ZoomInstaller.exe. Only from this version the End2End encryption is guaranteed!
- Skype is allowed for video- and audioconferences at the HZDR , but not for file sharing! You can use it from your client device. Some of the HZDR video-conference systems are equiped with an additional Skype camera, so that a group of HZDR employees can communicate with external partners via Skype. For both services plugins are downloaded from the web-sites. There are different plugins for the different browsers and operating systems. The participants of a conference are invited via e-Mail with an included web-link to select.
- BigBlueButton (up to 100 participants) is not a video remote system in this sense and should rather be considered as a "virtual classroom". It can be used for broadcasting events in the lecture hall or purely teaching events, but not for conferences in which several people talk to each other.
BigBlueButton gives the presenter the opportunity to show presentations and share them with their participants. The software supports multiple audio and video formats, PDF and Office formats. Lecturers can write live, explain topics, create whiteboards and do group work. Participants can become presenters themselves. For example, to give a presentation online or present work results. The "breakout rooms" function can be used to create virtual workrooms to which specific participants can then be assigned for group work. The main window contains the presentation area with whiteboard functions for joint file editing. The screen (live whiteboard) can be split in order to transfer presentations on demand (desktop sharing). Sessions can be recorded via an integrated recorder. You can find instructions here: Instructions BigBlueButton
Reccommended Hardware for a video conference:
- For notebooks with a camera in the display we recommend the use of a headset with noise reduction.
Example: Logitech 960 USB Headset
- For smaller meetings in the office with 3 - 5 people, a combined solution of microphone, camera and speakers, connected via USB with a notebook or computer is recommended. Example: Logitech Connect
- For small to medium sized conference rooms (3-10 people), please use the existing Polycom systems in buildings 110/230, 104/201, 513/110, 801/P244. Meetings with DFNconf and Zoom can be held in these rooms.
Alternatively a mobile solution consisting of camera, control unit with loudspeaker and microphone as well as 2 table microphones. Example: Logitech Group
- Unterstützung und Beratung zu Konferenzsystemen & Konfernzräumen erhaten Sie bei unserem Helpdesk