Underground nuclear-reaction experiments for astrophysics and applications
International Workshop in Dresden/Germany, 28.-30.04.2010
Link to new workshop on 26-28 June 2017, Dresden
The field of underground accelerator physics to study rare nuclear reaction events has greatly expanded over the last decade. Consequently, there is an increasing need to put ion accelerators in underground laboratories, making use of overlying rock to suppress cosmic-ray induced background.
The option has recently emerged to install an accelerator near an existing γ-counting facility in a shallow-underground laboratory, Felsenkeller/Dresden, with the scope encompassing some of the higher-yield astrophysics reactions as well as particle physics and materials science inspired studies.
The workshop aims to gather Europeans interested in underground accelerators from the nuclear physics, astrophysics, particle physics, and materials science communities. It should explore data needs, new experimental approaches able to fill these needs, and also include assessment of relevant theory required to exploit such experiments. Ideally, the workshop should foster the emergence of an informal European alliance to develop the exchange of ideas and techniques, students, and postdocs.
- Nuclear data needs from astrophysics
- Nuclear theory relevant to astrophysics
- Nuclear data needs from particle physics and materials science
- Recent experimental results
- Future high-current stable beam accelerators
Scientific advisory committee:
- Carlo Broggini, INFN Padua/Italy
- Roland Diehl, Max-Planck-Institut für extraterrestrische Physik, Garching/Germany
- Zsolt Fülöp, ATOMKI Debrecen/Hungary
- Brian Fulton, University of York/United Kingdom
- Jordi José, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona/Spain
- Karlheinz Langanke, GSI Darmstadt/Germany
Local organizing committee:
- Daniel Bemmerer, FZD Dresden/Germany, email@example.com
- Kai Zuber, TU Dresden/Germany, firstname.lastname@example.org
Links and downloads:
- Follow-up workshop "LUNA-MV at Gran Sasso" announced, 10.-11.02.2011: link
- Summary of round table discussion
- Final program of the workshop, updated version as of 28.04.2010 13:30
- Map including workshop site, hotel, social dinner, Felsenkeller, and airport
- Workshop announcement (PDF)
- Registration form (Word document), deadline 25.03.2010
- Start of workshop: Wednesday, 28.04.2010, 09:00
- End of workshop: Friday, 30.04.2010, 13:00 (special session for people from German institutions Friday 09:00-13:00)
- Travel: Please check flights to airport Dresden International. Other (less convenient, but still acceptable) options include airports Berlin Schönefeld, Berlin Tegel, and Leipzig/Halle.
- Accommodation: Participants are responsible for booking their own accommodations. We have pre-booked rooms in hotel Leonardo Dresden Altstadt until 25.03.2010. Please mention the password "Felsenkeller" when making your booking. There will be shuttle buses between this particular hotel and the workshop site at FZD.
- A workshop fee of 70 euros is requested to cover lunches, one dinner, and transportation. Limited financial support is available upon request.
- Please register by 25.03.2010 using this form (Word document). Please contact the organizers if you also wish to make a presentation.
- Conference secretary is Anne Liebezeit, email@example.com, phone +49 351 260 3293.