Personal web page of Satoru Tsushima
Since 2017:Specially Appointed Associate Professor at Tokyo Institute of Techology
Since 2006:Alexander von Humboldt Fellow and later Senior Scientist at HZDR
2005-2006:Visiting Professor at AlbaNova University Center, Sweden
2003-2005:Associate Professor at Nagoya University, Japan
1999-2003:Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Tokyo, Japan
1999:Doctor of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Research experiences and interests
I studied nuclear chemical engineering at the University of Tokyo where my initial interest was sorption of uranium on nanoparticles using surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy. After Ph.D. work, I switched to molecular modeling of actinide complexes in combination with X-ray absorption spectroscopy. I moved to Europe and first joined a theory group in Stockholm and later worked at synchrotron facility in France. I then moved to Dresden and focused on studying luminous character of uranium by combining quantum chemical calculations and time-resolved spectroscopic techniques. Currently I work in biophysics division and my main focus is to apply fragment molecular orbital (FMO) method on metal-bound protein and DNA. I work closely with the developers of FMO program ABINIT-MP. Since 2017 I work partly at Tokyo Institute of Technology in the actinide coordination chemistry group of Prof. Koichiro Takao.
Prof. H. Burrows (University of Coimbra, Portugal), Prof. K. Takao (Tokyo Tech, Japan), Prof. M. U. Kumke (Universität Potsdam, Germany), Prof. C. Den Auwer ( Université Nice Sophia Antipolis, France), Dr. Z. Szabo (KTH, Sweden), Prof. S. Nagasaki (McMaster University , Canada), Prof. E. V. Alekseev (FZ Jülich, Germany), Prof. Y. Mochizuki (Rikkyo University, Japan), Dr. D. Khakhulin (XFEL, Germany), Dr. R. J.Baker (Trinity College, Ireland), Prof. R. Jain (IIT Delhi, India), Prof. E. D. van Hullebusch (Université de Paris, France)
- Promising Endeavor Award: Atomic Energy Society of Japan, March 2003
- Waste Management Symposia 2004 Best Poster Award: Nuclear Engineering Division of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), February 2005
- "Photochemische Entfernung von Uran(VI)-Verbindungen aus mit Uran(VI)-verschmutzten Flüssigkeiten", K.Fahmy, E.Attia, S.Tsushima, DE 10 2014 225 951.7
- "Extraction/Separation Method of Uranium Compound", S.Kinoshita, S.Yamamoto, K.Masuda, Y.Nagase, R.Wada, K.Ohnishi, Y,Meguro, O.Tomioka, S.Tsushima, I.Yamamoto, JP 4534002, B
Total of 95 peer-reviewed articles with 2018 citations and h-index of 29 (Scopus). Complete publication list can be obtained via ORCID. Selected recent publications are below.
- T.Takeyama, S.Tsushima, K.Takao, "Effect of substituents on the molecular structure and redox behaviour of uranyl(V/VI) complexes with N3O2-donating schiff base ligands" Inorg. Chem. 2021, 60, 11435.
- S.Fischer, R.Jain, T. Krause, P.Jain, S.Tsushima, A.Shevchenko, R.Hübner, N.Jordan, "Impact of the Microbial Origin and Active Environment on the Shape of Biogenic Elemental Selenium Nanomaterials" Environ. Sci. Technol., 2021, 55, 9161.
- J.Kretzschmar, S.Tsushima, C.Lucks, E.Jäckel, R.Meyer, R.Steudtner, K.Müller, A.Rossberg, K.Schmeide, V.Brendler, "Dimeric and Trimeric Uranyl(VI)-Citrate Complexes in Aqueous Solution" Inorg. Chem., 2021, 60, 7998.
- T.Haubitz, B.Drobot, S.Tsushima, R.Steudtner, T.Stumpf, M.U.Kumke, "Quenching Mechanism of Uranyl(VI) by Chloride and Bromide in Aqueous and Non-aqueous Solutions" J. Phys. Chem. A., 2021, 125, 4380.
- C.Zurita, S.Tsushima, C.Bresson, M.G.Cortes, P.L.Solari, A.Jeanson, G.Creff, C.Den Auwer "How does iron storage protein ferritin interact with plutonium (and thorium)?" Chem. Eur. J. 2021, 27, 2393.