Physics of Particle Accelerators
Physics of Particle Accelerators 2023
Prof. Dr. Ulrich Schramm, Prof Dr. Tom Cowan
Dates: Tuesday, 6. DS (16:40-18:10), ASB/328/H
We are glad that this semester's course will be held face-to-face again and invite you to share our interest in the fascinating basic and applied physics enabling world of particle accelerators and radiation sources. The course may be complemented by visits to facilities.
Please note that the lecture will start on tuesday, april 11th, after the easter holidays. The first lecture will be given by T. Cowan.
The lecture will cover the following topics:
Particle accelerators:linear accelerators, circular accelerators, storage rings, cyclotrons, betatrons, synchrotrons
Particle dynamics: ion optics, matrix formalism, beam dynamics, beam cooling
Secondary beams: light sources, radioactive beams
Advanced concepts: relativistic laser plasma physics, laser particle acceleration
During the lecture we will frequently present applications and realisations of accelerators.
- K. Wille, The Physics of Particle Accelerators, Oxford ‘00
- E. Wilson, An Introduction to Particle Accelerators, Oxford Univ. Press ’01
- F. Hinterberger, Physik der Teilchenbeschleuniger und Ionenoptik Springer ´08
- J. Großer: Einführung in die Teilchenoptik, Teubner ’83
- J.D. Lawson: The physics of charged-particle beams, Clarendon press ‘77
- T. Wangler: RF Linear Accelerators, Wiley '98
- S. Humphries: Principles of Charged Particle Acceleration, https://www.fieldp.com/cpa.html
- CERN Accelerator School, cas.web.cern.ch/cas/