The Radioecology lecture is part of the module "Umwelt- und Actinidenchemie" (Chem-Ma-M06). Lecture topics on environmental radioactivity deal with e.g. sources of radionuclides in the environment, factors influencing radionuclide migration and uptake in food chains and our ecosystems, sampling and pre-treatment of environmental samples, and radionuclide separation methods. In addition, examples on how radioecology is present in every-day life are given. A short outline of the course is given below.
Introduction to radioactivity and radioactive decay
Formation of Earth and the elements
- Primordial radionuclides
- Cosmic radiation
- Fission products
- Transuranium elements
Radionuclide transport pathways
- Atmospheric deposition
- Radionuclide uptake in plants
- Radionuclide uptake in animals and humans – the food chains
Mobility of radionuclides in the environment
- Radionuclide speciation in aqueous solution
- Radionuclide interactions with interfaces
- Formation of solid phases
- Impact of microorganisms on radionuclide mobility in the environment
Environmental samples and their radiochemical separation methods
- Special aspects of radionuclide chemistry
- Collection and pretreatment of environmental samples
- Ion exchange
- Solvent extraction
- Extraction chromatography
Measurement of environmental samples
- Radioanalytical methods
- Mass spectrometric methods
Applied aspects of Radioecology
If you do not have the user name and password, please contact Dr. Natalia Mayordomo Herranz.
Certificate of achievement
Master studies in Chemistry (MA-CH-MRBO 10) see Modul "Umwelt- und Actinidenchemie"
- Certificate of participation with grading after oral examination or
- Certificate of participation only.
every Monday, starting on 9th of October, 3rd double period, 13:00 to 14:30 p.m.
Room CHE/182/P, Chemistry New Building, Bergstraße 66, 01069 Dresden, Germany
oral exam in February 2023
- Kratz, Lieser: "Nuclear and Radiochemistry"
- Choppin, Rydberg, Liljenzin: "Radiochemistry and Nuclear Chemistry"
- Atwood: "Radionuclides in the Environment"
- Poinssot, Geckeis: "Radionuclide behaviour in the natural environment"
- Lehto, Hou: "Chemistry and Analysis of Radionuclides"