The Radioecology lecture is part of the module "Umwelt- und Radiochemie". Lecture topics on environmental radioactivity deal with e.g. sources of radionuclides in the environment, factors influencing radionuclide migration and uptake in food chains and our ecosystems, sampling and pre-treatment of environmental samples, radionuclide separation methods and specific counting techniques for low-level samples. In addition, examples on how radioecology is present in every-day life are given. A short outline of the course is given below.
- Formation of Earth and the elements
- Natural radioactivity
- Primordial radionuclides
- Cosmic radiation
- Fission products
- Transuranium elements
- Atmospheric deposition
- Radionuclide uptake in plants
- Radionuclide uptake in animals and humans – the food chains
- Radionuclide speciation in aqueous solution
- Radionuclide interactions with interfaces
- Formation of solid phases
- Environmental effects of the radionuclide-microbe interaction
- Effects of radionuclides on biology
- Radionuclide contamination in the environment - bioremediation
- Special aspects of radionuclide chemistry
- Collection and pretreatment of environmental samples
- Ion exchange
- Solvent extraction
- Extraction chromatography
- Radioanalytical methods
- Mass spectrometric methods
- Age determination
- Environmental processes
- Forensic science
The lectures and any additional material will be uploaded here. If you do not have the user name and password, please contact Dr. Nina Huittinen.
- Dr. N. Huittinen: Part 1
(new as of 5.5.2022, 680 MB, Zip file including updated slided and 2021 video lessons 1-4)
- Dr. N. Huittinen: Part 2
(new as of 23.6.2022, 664 MB, Zip file including updated slided and 2021 video lessons 5-9)
- Dr. N. Huittinen: Part 3
(new as of 19.7.2022, 244 MB, Zip file including updated slided and 2021 video lessons 10-11)
2021 lecture notes
The lecture scripts of the last year (2021) are also available for further self-study.
- Dr. N. Huittinen: Part 1 (19.5.2021, 12.7 MB)
- Dr. N. Huittinen: Part 2 (01.7.2021, 17.1 MB)
- Dr. N. Huittinen: Part 3 (15.7.2021, 9.2 MB)
Certificate of achievement
Master studies in Chemistry (MA-CH-MRBO 10) see Modul "Umwelt- und Actinidenchemie"
- Certificate of participation with grading after oral examination or
- Certificate of participation only.
The Masterpraktikum for the summer semester 2022 lecture will take place on:
- 29.8 to 2.9.2022 (HZDR)
- 5.9-9.9.2022 (TUD)
For the upcoming lecture in the 2022 winter semester applies:
every Monday, 3rd double period, 11:10 to 12:40 p.m.
Room CHE/182/P, Chemistry New Building, Bergstraße 66, 01069 Dresden, Germany
oral exam in February 2023
- Kratz, Lieser: "Nuclear and Radiochemistry"
- Choppin, Rydberg, Liljenzin: "Radiochemistry and Nuclear Chemistry"
- Atwood: "Radionuclides in the Environment"
- Poinssot, Geckeis: "Radionuclide behaviour in the natural environment"
- Lehto, Hou: "Chemistry and Analysis of Radionuclides"