Research and Development
In addition to the IT services for the HZDR, the Department of Information Services and Computing (FWC) is driving a number of research and development topics in a variety of research areas.
Research Data Management
HZDR operates multiple research infrastructures and as such also has the responsibility for the data generated by those experiments. We develop solutions in these areas as internal projects but also as part of the BMBF funded project "Research data management at HZDR and HZB (RDMatDB)". Project parts are:
- Set up of a flexible data publication platform that enables publication of primary and secondary data, software and documents
- Development of a central data management platform for data that is currently analyzed
- Attaching all relevant meta data sources, so that data sets are automatically publishable from the very beginning in the data chain
- Support in the establishment of a central laboratory information management system and central log books for our experiment owners and users
Parallel SImulations / Machine Learning
The Department of Information Services and Computing (FWC) supports scientists in generating, using and optimizing computational simulations of complex physical phenomena. A special fiels of expertise is in the area of many-core computing (e.g. GPUs or Intel Xeon Phis). The current focus areas are:
- Co-development of software in the vicinity of PIConGPU
- Optimization of ultra-fast CT reconstruction for the ROFEX Detector
- Dynamic analysis of laser beam profiles in laser driven particle accelerators to mitigate impeding damage to the laser optics
- Combining multiple methods for determining the molecular structures in a liquid solution via a web application
- Analysis and optimization of the runtime behavior of (parallel) applications used at HZDR (e.g. OpenFOAM)
In-Situ and Ex-Situ Visualization
The Department of Information Services and Computing (FWC) operates a virtual reality laboratory for displaying large data sets of simulation or experiment data in 3D. We also develop interactive user interfaces for analyzing and manipulating this data. One area of long standing expertise is interactive simulation of fire-fighting missions using immersive visualization (VR).
The Department of Information Services and Computing (FWC) is an active participant in various groups around the topics of identity management solutions in federated environments as well as information-security in cloud computing environments
The Department of Information Services and Computing (FWC) represents HZDR in various IT committees:
- The SPEC HIgh Performance Group develops standardized benchmarks to measure and compare the capablilities of compuer systems.
Conferences and Workshops
- FWC is organizing its own conferences and workshops on these issues.
- On the topics mentioned "Information and Services" is actively participating with own publications.