Experiments with Liquid Metal Battery Cells
Our battery lab enables the electrochemical investigation of liquid metal electrodes and molten salt electrolytes.
For experiments, small cells are build and tested under argon atmosphere in the glove box.
Our lab devices include:
- Double preparation- and testing box (glovebox with controlled temperature and regeneration system: O2/H2O<0,1ppm)
- Mass spectrometer with capillary inlet in the glovebox
- Laser-induced breakdown spectrometer (Aryell200 optics)
- Laboratory furnaces
- Keithley Sourcemeter
The electrochemical experiments and the development of liquid metal batteries include:
- Optimization of electrode pairing
- Testing of low melting salt mixtures
- In-situ measurement of gas evolution (during cell cycling or melting salt mixtures)
- Long term cycling of cells