The group’s focus is on novel, non-invasive exploration methods covering applications from single crystal characterization up to drill-core logging by using optical, spectroscopy-based sensors. Therefore, analytical and technological solutions for efficient material characterization of any material stream of resources (primary or secondary) are being optimized and developed. This includes advanced data processing with respect to big data volumes from continuous spatial data, immediate pre-processing and evaluation. It also includes research dedicated to the development of new or optimized sensors and sensor integration in collaboration with industry partners.
Advances in data integration from multi-source and multi-scale spectroscopy as well as the development of laser-induced fluorescence lie at the heart of the team, in particular with respect to the rare-earth element identification.
- Methods and technologies for multi-source drill core logging
- Up-scaling of high-resolution, small-scale data for efficient mineral identification of entire drill cores
- Sensor integration for material stream characterization (primary and secondary resources)
- Development of laser-induced fluorescence for mineral exploration
- Fast, efficient optical imaging methods
- Hyperspectral reflectance imaging (HSI) in VNIR, SWIR and LWIR range (0.4 – 16.6 µm)
- Laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy
- RGB stereoscopy and laser profiling
- Combined with validation techniques
- X-ray fluorescence (handheld XRF)
- Fourier-transform infrared spectrometer (handheld FTIR)
- Various other methods for cross-validation available at HIF or other research and industry partners (e.g. MLA)
- Lorenz, S.; Beyer, J.; Fuchs, M.; Seidel, P.; Turner, D.; Heitmann, J.; Gloaguen, R. (2019)
The Potential of Reflectance and Laser Induced Luminescence Spectroscopy for Near-Field Rare Earth Element Detection in Mineral Exploration. Remote Sens. (11) 21
- Seidel, P.; Lorenz, S.; Heinig, T.; Zimmermann, R.; Booysen, R.; Beyer, J.; Heitmann, J.; Gloaguen, R. (2019)
Fast 2D Laser-Induced Fluorescence Spectroscopy Mapping of Rare Earth Elements in Rock Samples. Sensors (19) 2219
- Tusa, L.; Andreani, L.; Khodadadzadeh, M.; Contreras, C.; Ivascanu, P.; Gloaguen, R.; Gutzmer, J. (2019)
Mineral Mapping and Vein Detection in Hyperspectral Drill-Core Scans: Application to Porphyry-Type Mineralization. Minerals (9) 122.