The International Office (IO) advises and supports visiting scientists and researchers, PhD students and postdocs from abroad as well as international users of our research facilities - together with their families - in organizing, preparing, and implementing their stay here in Dresden.
We want to be your central contact point for any and all questions you may have regarding your stay at the HZDR.
Dear international colleagues,
The Immigration Office and the Dresden Welcome Center will remain closed from today until Friday, April 17th 2020.
All appointments scheduled for that period are canceled. New appointments are not going to be planned yet.
The immigration authorities in Dresden issued following general decree:
- Residence permits and other certificates of immigration (blue card, national residence permit, etc.) which expire during this period of time (including 20th April), will temporarily be extended. You will receive an email with information on how to proceed.
- Certificates of immigration, which are ready to be collected, are going to be sent via post. Please be sure to label your mailbox with your name. Otherwise the post is not going to be properly delivered. In the event that you are staying elsewhere, send this information to email@example.com
- Schengen visas (tourist visa or C-visa) expiring during the period from 18th March until the 19th April 2020 will be extended until 20th April 2020. This process will take place without an application and without a personal appointment.
Persons who are currently abroad and whose residence rights expire in the meantime are not included in the general order. These people are required to go to the German diplomatic mission and obtain a re-entry visa. An extension of the re-entry period for an even longer residence permit - for a stay longer than 6-months - can be requested by email.
In urgent cases you can contact the immigration office at the hotline 0351-488 6009.
Mon./Wed./Fri. from 9:00 to 12:00
Tue./Thu. from 8:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 18:00
You can also write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the current situation and the local ruling please visit:
Information über die Rückholaktion für deutsche Reisende /
Information about the return campaign for German travelers
Our services include:
- Providing general information about the HZDR
- Assisting international guests with formalities that need to be completed upon arrival
- Providing general information about procedures with public authorities
- Offering support for families, e.g. we'll help you find the right accommodation and/or register your children for kindergarten or school
- Organizing and providing information about suitable leisure and recreational activities
- Organizing international summer students and mentoring programs
For detailed information, please see our welcome guide.
Office (Building 240 , Room 106):
We look forward to helping you and/or giving you the name of the right person to get in touch with.
Contact: International Office
Phone: +49 351 2602821 or +49 1702284155
You can call the last number also in urgent cases at any time.
Good to know:
Dr. Jörg Grenzer represents all international colleagues in our work commitee since summer 2019.